Mrs. Nolan's Gingerbread
Mrs. Nolan, a neighbor, always had the homiest recipes. We substituted part of the oil with one of our citrus oils—and fell in love all over again. Wonderfully spicy—it is the perfect compliment to fall.
- 2 cup golden raisins
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup Olive Scene Blood Orange or Eureka Lemon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Olive Scene mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Butter Olive Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons each: cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Put water and raisins into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the juice, saving it, and allow both the juice and raisins to cool.
- Grease and flour a 17” x 11” jelly roll pan ( 1/4 sheet pan)
- Sift flour and spices 2x and set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until creamed.
- Add both olive oils to cooled raisin juice.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, alternating with the raisin juice/oil liquid, beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Add to prepared pan evenly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until firm when touched.
Cool. Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.