Thai-Inspired Shrimp Rice Bowl
Fresh, crisp veggies combine with sweet shrimp in this Thai-inspired rice bowl. Our Persian Lime Olive Oil and Coconut White Balsamic Vinegar team up to make a delicious marinade that turns into a sauce for the bowl.
This is such a versatile recipe, allowing for tons of customization. Use chicken or pork instead of the shrimp, substitute quinoa for the rice, add snap peas or blanched broccoli (or whatever your favorite veggies are!). You can even play around with the vinaigrette and turn a Thai-inspired rice bowl into a Latin-inspired one just by changing out the balsamic vinegar! Try it with Oregano or Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar instead of using Coconut. This kind of recipe is what makes cooking with The Olive Scene products so much fun - you can play around with different flavor combinations and have a new and interesting dish even when you're using the same recipe!
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup Persian Lime Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut White Balsamic Vinegar (Mango White Balsamic Vinegar also makes a great substitution)
- 1.5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
For the bowls:
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Optional garnish: chopped peanuts, sliced scallions, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- Combine marinade ingredients in an airtight jar and shake vigorously to combine. Place shrimp in a medium-sized bowl and pour marinade over shrimp. Toss to combine. Marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- While shrimp are marinating, prep the vegetables. Use a vegetable peeler to cut thin ribbons of cucumber and carrot (can also cut into a matchstick shape, use a spiralizer, or just thinly slice them). Cut the bell pepper into thin matchsticks.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and marinade to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook the shrimp for 1.5-3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove the shrimp and set aside. Bring the remaining liquid to a low boil. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 more minutes.
- Place 1 cup of rice in each of 4 bowls. Divide cooked shrimp, cucumber, carrot, and bell pepper between the bowls. Drizzle with pan sauce. Top with garnishes, if using.