Cooking Time: 20-30 Min Servings: 6
Adapted from Mark Bittman
- 2 tablespoons Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 - 3 pound chicken, cut up for sauteing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c minced shallots or scallions
- 1 c Olive Scene Pinot Noir Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Set a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil; when it is hot, place chicken in the skillet, skin side down.
- Cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is nicely browned.
- Turn and cook 3 minutes on the other side.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet in the oven.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until almost done (juices will run clear, and there will be just a trace of pink near the bone).
- Remove chicken to an ovenproof platter.
- Place it in the oven; turn off the heat, and leave the door slightly ajar.
- Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the cooking juices out of the skillet (discard them).
- Place skillet over medium-high heat, and add shallots; sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, and raise the heat to high.
- Cook a minute or two, or until the powerful acrid smell has subsided somewhat.
- Add 1/2 c water, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring, until the mixture is slightly reduced and somewhat thickened.
- Stir in butter, if desired.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet, and turn the chicken in the sauce.
- Serve immediately.