Cooking Time: 10-15 min Servings: 4
- 1 ½ lb free-range, boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast tenders.
- 4 thick strips smoked bacon, diced
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin
- 8 oz. assorted wild mushrooms, sliced
- 4" piece of fresh thyme, stem discarded
- ¼ cup The Olive Scene 18yr Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons The Olive Scene Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or The Olive Scene Wild Mushroom & Sage Oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb Pappardelle pasta or wide egg noodle pasta, cooked and drained
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown the diced bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve.
- Pour off all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Season the chicken on both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, place it back over the heat, and allow it to heat for a minute over medium-high heat.
- Saute the chicken for a few minutes until golden brown on both sides, in batches if necessary.
- Do not over-crowd the pan.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve.
- Add the onions to the drippings in the pan.
- Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently until the onions become a soft golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Sauté for approximately three more minutes over medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned and slightly caramelized.
- Add the fresh thyme leaves and balsamic to the mushrooms and onions, de-glazing the pan by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Cook to reduce for a minute.
- Add the cream and stir to combine.
- Add the bacon and reserved chicken.
- Allow the pan to come to a simmer.
- Cook for another two minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens.
- Season generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or cooked whole grains.