Braised and Roasted Chicken With Vegetables
Cooking Time: 30-40 min Servings: 4
- Tuscan Herb Infused Olive Oil
- Herbes de Provence Infused Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Olive Scene bold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 skin-on chicken breast, split to yield 2 halves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped, leaves reserved for garnish
- 12 to 16 oz. fresh mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary
- 3 c chicken stock
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour olive oil into a roasting pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the thighs with salt and pepper and add them to the pan, flesh side down.
- Cook, turning and rotating the pieces as necessary, until well browned on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove, then add the breast halves, skin side down.
- Brown them well, then flip and cook for just 1 minute or so; remove to a separate plate.
- Put the leeks, carrots, celery, mushrooms, herbs in the same pan and cook until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Nestle the thighs among the vegetables, meaty side up.
- Add enough of the stock to come about halfway up the thighs. (The amount will depend on the breadth of your pan; add a little more if necessary.)
- Put the pan in the oven and cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour, checking occasionally and stirring the vegetables if they threaten to brown too much.
- When the thigh meat is tender, raise the heat to 400 and lay the breast halves on the vegetables, skin side up. Continue cooking until they are done, 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetables to a platter.
- You can serve one of two ways: slice the breasts and shred the thigh meat and lay the meat on top of the vegetables; or cut the thigh pieces in half, cut the breasts in half and give each person a little of each.
- Garnish with reserved chopped celery leaves. 4 servings.
* Wonderful with Chipotle Potatoes
* May substitute Tuscan Herb, or Herb de Provence Olive Oil when fresh herbs are not available.