Slow Roasted Spicy Beef Brisket
Cooking Time: 7 hrs Servings: 6-8
- Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- Tuscan Herb Infused Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Olive Scene Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 3 lb brisket
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Hot Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Scene Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas
- In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Mix all spices and sprinkle the brisket all over with 1 tablespoon of the spice blend.
- Add the brisket to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well-browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the brisket to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining spice blend and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, stock and the tomatoes and their juices to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping to release the browned bits on the bottom.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 1 hour longer.
- Add the black-eyed peas to the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, until the brisket and peas are tender.
- Transfer the brisket to a carving board.
- Cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt.
- Carve the brisket into 1/3 inch thick slices and using a large spatula, carefully return the brisket to the cooker.
- Turn off the cooker and let the brisket rest in the sauce for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving.
- The dish can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Reheat gently.