Cooking Time: 2 hours Servings: 12
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet = 7 grams) yeast (instant or regular)
- 2/3 cup 1% milk, warmed
- 3 tablespoons Olive Scene mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- about ¼ cup extra flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar for coating
- 1 cup Strawberry of Fig Balsamic Jam (available at The Olive Scene)
- Place flour, sugar, salt, & yeast in large bowl.
- Stir in warm milk, followed by oil, egg yolks & vanilla.
- With electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Stir in enough flour until the dough holds together.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead 50 turns, cover with plastic and let rest 10 min.
- If using custard filling, make it now so it can cool.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut circles using a 2 1/2 -inch round cutter, dipped in flour. Re-roll scraps.
- Place mounds on baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm spot about 45 minutes. (1 hour at room temp.)
- After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 375° F.
- When paczki are puffy, but not necessarily doubled in size, bake for 10 minutes.
- Meantime, melt butter and place 1/3 cup sugar in a plastic produce bag, and lay down some wax paper to save cleanup.
- Remove paczki immediately from pan to wax paper.
- Brush each one while warm (top & sides) with melted butter and roll in bag to coat with sugar. Shake off excess.
- Fill using a pastry bag with a long slender tip, pushing into the side.
- Serve immediately.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup 1% milk + 1 egg yolk.
- Bring to a boil & cook about a minute, stirring constantly, until thickened. (it thickens more as it cools)
- Transfer to a plate and let it stand, undisturbed, to cool thoroughly before using - refrigerate if necessary.
- Fill paczki with filling using a pastry bag with a long slender tip, pushing into the side.
- Or slice an opening in the side and insert filling with a spoon.
- Serve immediately.
adapted from Jenny Can Cook