Strawberries are available year round, but not always the most flavorful. Macerating them is an easy way to bring out incredible flavors when they are out of season.
Enjoy this dish with any summer meal!
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup The Olive Scene Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon The Olive Scene Basil Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil, rolled lengthwise and then sliced lengthwise
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated lemon zest, for serving
- 2 pints good quality vanilla ice cream
- Place sliced strawberries in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar and sugar to dissolve the sugar.
- Slowly drizzle the oil into the balsamic vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold in fresh basil.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette sauce over the strawberries and toss gently
- Allow to sit 15 minutes at room temperature to “juice”, then chill 15 to 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Spoon over ice cream, pound cake, cheeses, pancakes, or serve in a bowl with fresh whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten