Save this recipe for the holidays, your next dinner party or brunch, or any random day (they're that good). These rolls would be equally delicious with roasted pork for dinner, or slathered with butter and honey for breakfast.
Our Rosemary Olive Oil adds a hint of fragrant flavor, but you could make these with a Single Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil as well.
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105-110 degrees)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
- 1 packet instant dry yeast (2 1/4 t)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Wild Rosemary Olive Oil, plus a few tablespoons to coat the bowl in step 6
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 5-6 cups all purpose or bread flour (the amount will vary based on the moisture content of your pumpkin)
- optional garnishes: chopped rosemary, Rosemary Olive Oil, flaky sea salt
- Combine milk and water in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl and heat to between 105 and 110 degrees F.
- Add the sugar and yeast, set aside for about 10 minutes to let foam form to make sure the yeast is active.
- Add the pumpkin, honey, olive oil, eggs, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer and combine with either a spatula or the mixer paddle.
- Add the milk mixture to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Using the dough hook with the mixer running, add the flour 1 cup at a time, thoroughly combining between additions. Add 4.5 cups of flour, then add flour a few tablespoons at a time until the dough comes together and pulls away from the side of the mixing bowl.
- Coat the inside of a large mixing bowl with a few tablespoons of Rosemary Olive Oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a towel and place in a warm, dry spot to rise. Let rise for 60-90 minutes, until roughly double in size.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly greased surface. Cut the dough into 24 equal pieces, and shape the pieces into balls.
- You'll need two 9x13 pans, or 3 9-inch round pans (or some combination of the two). You can really use whatever you have around, though!
- Line baking pans with parchment paper and place the dough balls in the pans. Leave enough space for the dough to double in size. It's ok if they end up touching.
- Cover the pans and let them rise in a warm, dry place for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- If garnishing, pull the rolls out of the oven 5 minutes before they're done baking. Brush the tops with Rosemary Olive Oil and sprinkle with chopped rosemary and flaky sea salt. Return to the oven to finish baking.