(adapted from Raising the Salad Bar by Catherine Walthers)
For the Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (or pre-washed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil, mint or cilantro
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup The Olive Scene Persian Lime Infused Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons The Olive Scene Ultra Premium White Balsamic Vinegar
- juice from 1 lime (1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add quinoa, salt and 1-2/3 cups water to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. You'll know it is done when the little "tails" sprout from the grains. (If necessary add 1-2 tablespoons more water if the quinoa is not cooked by the time all the liquid is absorbed.)
- Spread and let cool in a 9x13 pan on the counter, or cover to cool quickly in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, make the dressing by combining the lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow steady stream until smooth.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add the red bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, scallions, fresh herbs and dressing.
- Toss well, then taste and adjust seasoning Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- This salad keeps well for several days in the fridge.
**This is a great way to use left over roasted vegetables! Add roasted asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc.