(adapted from The Kitchen and Thomas Keller)
For the Garlic Confit
- cloves from 2 heads of garlic, peeled and stem ends sliced off
- ½ to 1 cup The Olive Scene Wild Rosemary Olive Oil
For the Vinaigrette
- 6 cloves Garlic Confit
- ¼ cup The Olive Scene Champagne Wine Vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon (1 tablespoon)
- ½ cup garlic-infused The Olive Scene Wild Rosemary Olive Oil (that the garlic cooked in)
First make the Garlic Confit
- In a very small saucepan, combine the peeled garlic cloves and the olive oil. Make sure the olive oil completely covers the garlic cloves.
- Cook the mixture over as low a heat as possible (use a diffuser on the burner if you have one), for 25 to 35 minutes, until the garlic cloves are golden brown and very tender.
- Allow the garlic and oil to return to room temperature.
- Use the Garlic Confit in vinaigrettes, over pasta, on bruschetta, in risotto, or as the start to any cooking.
To make the Garlic Confit Vinaigrette:
- Take 6 or so of the garlic cloves and place in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and using a spoon, mash the garlic until it is very smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and vinegar and whisk to combine.
- In a slow, steady stream, add ½ cup of the oil that the garlic cooked in, whisking to emulsify.
- Grind in a bit of fresh cracked black pepper and taste to see if the seasonings need adjusting.
*To create a Garlic Confit Balsamic Vinaigrette: substitute ¼ cup The Olive Scene Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar for the Champagne Vinegar and omit the lemon juice.