Cooking Time: 2-5 hrs Servings: 10-12
Traditional 18 Year Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lb chunk or ground meat, you can use beef, veal or pork
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste`
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil diced or 1 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup red wine, not cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Olive Scene 18 yr. aged Balsamic Vinegar*
- Two large cans peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup stock: beef or chicken broth 1 parmesan rind (if you have it)
- Over medium heat, warm the oil, then the add the meat.
- Cook the meat until well browned.
- Strain off the grease
- Add onions to meat and cook and stir until onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and continue stirring until the garlic is soft, 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, and herbs and stir and cook until mushrooms are soft
- As the mushrooms are cooking, they will purge their natural water, continue cooking until the mushroom liquid reabsorbs.
- Add the wine and allow to cook 10 minutes, until wine evaporates by half
- Add the balsamic vinegar and allow to cook 10 minutes
- Add the tomatoes.
- Rinse the cans with the broth (or water), adding the liquid to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and allow to cook while periodically stirring.
- Simmer 2-5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add more water if sauce becomes too thick.
- Remove parmesan rind, adjust seasonings if needed and serve.
*can also use Fig, Espresso, or Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar instead of Traditional for interesting flavor.