Cooking Time: 2 hours Servings: 8
- Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 3 large)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Scene Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Olive Scene Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Olive Scene Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3½ cups icing sugar
Optional garnish: chopped, toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Cut a piece of wax paper to fit a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the vinegar; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes.
- This will make the cake very moist.
- Remove from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature while you make the frosting.
For the frosting;
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla and vinegar.
- Add sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped, toasted walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.