Cooking Time: 75 min Servings: 8
Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup Olive Scene mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the syrup:
- 2 tablespoons Olive Scene Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Scene Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Grease a large loaf pan, then line with parchment paper so that it overhangs the edges of the long sides by a few inches.
- This will make it easy to simply lift the loaf out of the pan when it is ready.
- Lightly grease the parchment.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the sugar and eggs until pale yellow.
- Add yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
- Stir just to combine.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the olive oil in to the batter to incorporate.
- Pour batter in to the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine the vinegar, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear.
- After cake has cooled for 10 minutes, pour lemon syrup evenly over the entire loaf (while still in pan).
- The parchment will help prevent overflow.
- Allow the cake to sit for 15 minutes to absorb syrup and to cool.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking together the vinegar, lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Lift loaf from pan by the parchment.
- Remove parchment and set loaf on a serving plate.
- Cover top of loaf with glaze and spread evenly, allowing it to run down the edges.
- Slice and serve.