Cooking Time: 25-30 Servings: 4-6
- 3 tablespoons Olive Scene Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 1½ cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups water or broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup fine ground bulgur
- ½ teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons Kirmizi Aci Biber (Turkish red pepper flakes, available at The Olive Scene)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cumin, and toast until aromatic, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, season with salt and simmer until lentils are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add bulgur and simmer until grains increase in volume and tenderize, about 8 minutes more. (Soup should have the consistency of porridge.) Stir in the mint, red pepper flakes, and season to taste with salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of yogurt.