Cooking Time: 45 Servings: 8
- Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- Traditional 18 Year Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 large onions
- 2 tablespoons Olive Scene Garlic Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 3 teaspoons Olive Scene 18 Year Balsamic Vinegar
- Peel, halve and slice the onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and toss in the onions, turning to coat.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and allow them to cook uncovered 40-45 minutes, until they’re brown, soft and caramelized.
- Stir occasionally. Be patient! The onions need to cook slowly over a long period of time so they cook evenly and the natural sugars release to caramelize the onions.
- If the mixture starts browning quickly, turn the heat lower. Patience is definitely a virtue here. Do not stir too often. When they’re wonderfully caramelized, gently stir in the balsamic vinegar and allow to sit for a couple more minutes, turning to coat and allowing the balsamic vinegar to reduce and cling to the onions.
- Now use those onions! Open a bun and spread the onions on it.
- Nestle in a grilled hot dog, sausage, or brat, and top with some wonderful Dijon mustard.
- Also fabulous on burgers, or topping your grilled steak, pork chops, or over a grilled Portobello mushroom. Versatile and delicious!