Cooking Time: 2 1/2 - 3 hrs Servings: 10-12
- Butter-All Natural Infused Olive Oil
- Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- Traditional 18 Year Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- (Traditional, Black Currant, Espresso or Fig )
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Butter Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8- to 10-pound half ham shank, fully cooked, fat trimmed to 1/2-inch
- Cook onions in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes; drain.
- Trim root ends, leaving base intact.
- Peel. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, and mustard in bowl for glaze.
- Transfer onions to 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Add 2/3 cup glaze, butter oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water; toss to coat.
- Cover with foil.
- Line large roasting pan with foil.
- Making 1/2-inch-deep slits, score ham with diamond pattern.
- Place ham in pan and roast 45 minutes.
- Place onions in oven.
- Roast ham and onions 25 minutes.
- Uncover onions.
- Continue roasting onions and ham 50 minutes.
- Baste ham with some of glaze.
- Continue to roast ham and onions until deep brown and glazed, brushing ham with glaze every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes longer.
- Transfer ham to large platter.
- Transfer onion mixture to bowl.
- Serve ham, passing onion mixture separately.