Cooking Time: 20-25 Min Servings: 4
Butter-All Natural Infused Olive Oil
- Raw vegetables of your choice (see below)
- 2 c heavy cream
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c Olive Scene Butter Infused Olive Oil
- or Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or a combination of both)
- 10 finely chopped flat anchovy filets packed in olive oil, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 lb loaf crusty Italian or French bread, cut into 2-inch sections
- Wash and prepare the vegetables several hours before using them.
- Cut vegetable into strips about 3 inches long and 1/2-inch wide.
- Place vegetables in ice water to crisp.
- Before serving pat all the vegetables dry with a towel.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, add cream and garlic cloves; bring just to a boil, lower heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly to prevent scorching or boiling over, approximately 15 minutes or until the cream has thickened and reduced by half (approximately 1 cup).
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In another saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Mash anchovies with a fork and add to the olive oil, along with cayenne pepper and parsley; cook until the anchovies dissolve into a paste, approximately 5 minutes.
- Put the reduced cream, garlic cloves, and anchovy mixture into a blender and purée until the mixture is very smooth. (The recipe may be made ahead to this point.)
- In a saucepan, reheat the Bagna Cauda at a very slow simmer, stirring constantly, do not let boil.
- Serve in warming dish over candle or a fondue pot works well.
- If sauce begins to separate while standing, a few turns with a whisk will bring it back together.
- Take turns dipping vegetables into the Bagna Cauda (a fondue-style fork will help), holding a piece of bread under the vegetable after dipping.
- After dipping a few pieces, the bread will be fragrant with oil and delicious to eat.