Cooking Time: 20 m Servings: 8
- 1 c vegetable broth or stock
- 1 c water
- 1 can fava beans, drained and well rinsed – small fava beans work best (about 2 cups)
- ½ can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well (about 1 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ c Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste reserved liquid from cooking the beans
- additional cumin or cayenne to taste
- Combine broth and water in a medium pot with the fava beans and garlic cloves.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and boil gently another 5-10 minutes, until about half the liquid has evaporated and the garlic cloves are very soft.
- Drain the fava beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend the garbanzo and fava beans, garlic, Tahini, lemon, oil, cumin, and salt until smooth.
- Add a bit of the reserved cooking water if necessary to achieve desired texture.
- Sprinkle with more spices and drizzle with additional olive oil if desired, before serving.
- Sprinkle with spices and serve with bread, crackers or vegetable for dipping.
- Bread, crackers, or cut vegetables for serving
*It tastes great while still warm, or can be served at room temperature.
*It would also make a great filling for sandwiches or wraps.
**Makes about 2 cups.
**Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 4 days.