Cooking Time: N/A Servings: 4
Four lamb shanks
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
four inch sprig of rosemary, woody stems discarded
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 medium onion minced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1/3 cup Olive Scene bold Extra Virgin Olive Oil (gold medal winner)
3 cups robust red wine such as Malbec
1 cup water
*This recipe can be made in a dutch over or crock pot.
- If using the oven, preheat to 300F. In a wide shallow dish or a gallon size Ziplock bag, mix the flour, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and pat the lamb shanks dry and dredge in the flour.
- In a large heavy bottom pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and brown the lamb shanks until golden brown on all sides, taking care not to over crowed the pan, cooking for about 5 minutes per side and set aside.
- In the same pan, add all of the vegetables and saute over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits, until the onions are translucent, for approximately five minutes.
- Pour in the wine and simmer for another couple minutes and then add cup of hot water.
- Add the fresh rosemary to the bottom of the crockpot or Dutch oven and arrange the shanks on top.
- Pour the wine and vegetables over the top.
- Cook, covered in a heavy dutch oven for six hours or in a crockpot set on low.
- After six hours, carefully remove the shanks from the liquid taking care not to allow the meat to slip off the bones.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Strain and de-fat the braising liquid.
- Place in a small saucepan and reduce by half.
- Adjust the seasoning with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Pour the reduction over the lamb shank placed atop a bed of mashed potatoes made with Olive Scene medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil.