Cooking Time: 80 min Servings: 4-6
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Sea salt
- 2 lb baking potatoes
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c matzo meal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 c Olive Scene bold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Applesauce, creme fraiche, smoked salmon, salmon roe and dill sprigs, for serving.
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the Yukon Gold potatoes with cool water, season generously with salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well and immediately pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
- While the Yukon Golds are cooking, quickly peel and grate the baking potatoes on the large holes of a box grater into a medium bowl.
- Press with a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add half of the grated potatoes to the riced potatoes.
- Transfer the remaining grated potatoes to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the onion and pulse until the potatoes and onions are very finely chopped.
- Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and press with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add the potato/onion mixture to the large bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, matzo meal, white pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, rub the surface with the olive oil (do not wash your hands!) Use your oily hands to divide the mixture into 10-12 even clumps.
- Press and shape into patties on the tray.
- Bake until crispy and golden on one side and the pancakes release easily from the pan (about 25-30 minutes).
- Flip and continue until the tops are a deep golden brown (about 15 minutes more).
- Serve with applesauce, creme fraiche, smoked salmon, salmon roe and dill.