Espresso is a flavor enhancer to beef, and sure adds a “WOW” to this Sloppy Joe recipe. Double or triple the recipe to serve at your next birthday party, tailgate or family reunion.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Olive Scene Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup Olive Scene Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 (15 oz) tomato puree
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon Aci Kirmizi Biber (available at The Olive Scene) or red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil and sauté ground beef, onion and pepper until soft.
- Add balsamic vinegar and mix until meat is coated.
- Mix dry mustard, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes until smooth.
- Sprinkle spices over meat mixture and stir.
- Add tomato puree and ketchup to meat and stir.
- Bring just to a boil and immediately lower the heat and simmer for ½ hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on hearty hamburger buns with pickles or Cole slaw.
- Can make 1-2 days ahead and refrigerate to allow the flavors to develop.
- Freezes well.
- For added heat, replace the Garlic Olive Oil with Harissa Olive Oil